Monday, April 21, 2014

Counting the Cost....and Counting it again and again...

Four years ago, when we began to sell most of our earthly possessions and planned to move to Belize, I counted the cost.  But what I didn't realize is that was just the beginning.  Over the past few years, I have to recount that cost over and over.  I have had to remind myself of the calling.  And realize that nothing good ever happens without a little sacrifice.  But I also have realized that there are great blessings of being in the center of His will.

Yesterday was one of those days.  You know...another holiday...without family.  Those can be really hard days.  A pitiful Easter basket with mostly old, spoiled candy:( (it is just hard to find good candy here...and you don't know until you open it:( That can be kind of disappointing.  A lunch with a friend that will soon return to the states.

But God intervenes...when we need Him most.  Lunch with friends that ended up being filled with laughter. helped cover the missing family from home.  Pictures on Facebook of candy that a sweet friend bought for my kids to get when we arrive in the states.  God always blesses when we need it most.

To round out the day, we had friends from church over last night for more just hanging out time.  Some of the people were playing Monopoly while we visited on the couch.  Tori didn't want to play.  She said, "Do you remember what happened the last time we tried to play this game?  We were having so much fun...and then everything changed..."  I didn't remember.  She said, "You know, the night she first came...and it began...all the months of craziness..."

This made me so sad.  That evening I was immediately swept up, an unplanned meeting in Lee's office with someone.  But realizing now that my kids...they were left to pick up the pieces, literally.  How sad it must have been for them, enjoying a fun family game time, only to be interrupted by but another crisis.

Yes, the cost is great.  Our kids have experienced a lot of things here.  They have sacrificed greatly.  They pay just as high a cost as we do.

But God always intervenes.  Sometimes the hardest days are right before we are about to go "home" for a visit.  But also, "home" is refreshing.  We get Christmas, Easter, birthdays, all in one month.  One month of being loved on, prayed on, blessed.  Memaws and Aunts who buy all our favorite foods and make us feel so loved from the moment we step off the plane.

Yesterday, as I spent some time with my daughter who once again has to say goodbye to another friend, her heart broken...God reminded me to remind her...that she does not sow in vain.  That she is sowing seeds that will bear good fruit.  When she goes and loves on twenty girls from babies to teens...at the children's home, she is planting good seeds.  That is why they smother her every time they see her.  When she pours into the girls in her small group, it is not in vain.  My girl is much like me.  Yet different.  Better.   But I know I was called to serve, really serve God when I was her age.  I see those same things in her.  And it is hard sometimes.  Ministry is really really hard.  Being a pastor's kid is not always fun...but the fruit, the blessings are abundant.  When God holds you in the center of his hands, there is such peace...and it is worth it all.

And just a few photos from yesterday that a friend took.  She is taking photos for anyone who wants on Sunday mornings...so I made my family dress up and scheduled the first slot this Sunday...  And I am so glad I did.

I love my sweet little family...so much:)




This is all I have so far...can't wait to see the rest <3 nbsp="" p="">

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. I love to hear from you.