Friday, October 27, 2017

How does Adoption Day feel?

Last night before bed, there was such excitement in this house.  I had a hard time sleeping last night...thinking about today.   It is a day we have talked about and waited for so long.

This morning, I woke up and got the girls breakfast from the bakery, just for fun.

But what does it feel like?  When you were told 4 1/2 years ago to adopt a child...and it is finally here?  When you were told 1 1/2 years ago to adopt another one?  That you probably wouldn't have considered if the other adoption had been completed?

Last night, I led Net Group on understanding God's voice.  One thing I am confident is Him telling us three very specific times to adopt.  Three very specific and very different ways, He wooed us to love one of His children who needed a family.  And these girls have become my family.  Today is just a formality of what God has already done.  But an important formality.

Today, there won't be a lot of chores done.  We will only do a few subjects in school this morning, but it is going to be more of a relaxing day of just enjoying the blessing God has given us.  Today we will become a family of SEVEN.   

Many times, people ask me, do you love your adopted girls like Josh and Tori?  This is a hard question, because what I have discovered is love comes softly and differently, but it is love, nonetheless.  Yesterday, I had a "date" with Kailey.  On the way home from Mexico, we stopped at the school where she spent many years.  It was a cool experience.  But she told me that seems like a different life to her.  I think it speaks a lot of the healing power of Jesus.   And the longer she has spent in our home, we have become her way of life.  We have become her family in every sense.  I remember when she first moved in, she was afraid to pray aloud at night.  And now, how she is the oldest in our home, running the show, telling the littler girls what to do.  I love Kailey very deeply.  She brings such great joy to my heart.  I am so proud to call her my daughter.  Her teacher from years ago described Kailey perfectly.  She said she had such a sweetness and worked very hard at school.  These are two of the things that I see in her as well.  Sunday, we will celebrate her 17th birthday, and thankfully, we will celebrate her being a Brockinton as well!!

Aviya is a child that is easy to love.  All who know her fall in love with her smile, her joy, her excitement for life.  She deeply loves our family and we love her.  Because of her being younger, affection has always come easy.  Sometimes I feel like she needs more affection to make up for years that she did not get it.  Erika and Aviya are the same age, but they are so different in personality.  Their likes and dislikes are so different.  But the blessing is that they really enjoy doing things together.  It is a journey for Erika not to be the youngest and not to get all the attention.  But I do think she has enjoyed having someone to play with:)  I deeply love my Aviya...my last child...the one that the Lord said we had room for one more...

Sometimes I get so overwhelmed with all of my children.  Even though two are off at college, they are always on my heart.  But I consider it my greatest joy as well.   Today, I will wear my charm bracelet, which is a little old fashioned, but one of my favorite material things:)  It has one for my marriage and five beautiful charms with all of my children's name and birthdays.  When I wear it, I always feel like I have them with me, even the two that are far away.  I look down and the name that I see I begin to pray for.  I love my children and and so thankful that today, I will have two more.

Today is a little sad as well.  As we prepare to go to the courthouse, I am missing my two oldest children.  I am missing my and Lee's parents.  With Erika, we had so many people there to support us and today it will be just us.  But I rejoice that in a few weeks, our whole family will be together for Christmas and we will all be Brockintons this year.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. I love to hear from you.