One of many lessons I have learned in the past weeks, or have been reminded of, is how important it is to touch people. Especially during times of hurting.
I have been covered in prayer by many these past weeks, but I've also had people come see me. It's amazing how much it meant to see my parents waiting for me at the airport, hugging my son the weekend before surgery, and grabbing my husband's hand as I was wheeled into my room after surgery. I am so blessed to have a Christian doctor who grabbed my hand to pray with me before she operated, a lady named Carrie, who checked me in and then came and prayed for me before surgery and checked on me after. I had close friends who visited and waited with my family in the waiting room. And of course my family.
In this age of technology, I can talk to my kids through the Internet, see their faces, tell my husband I miss him. But what technology can't do is let me hold my almost 9 year old close to me or hug my older girls. I will have to wait to go home for that. I have a new sympathy for those who are serving overseas. I already know how hard it is to be separated physically from my parents and siblings, nieces and nephews. I know what it is to send my first born to college. But being separated from my younger children and especially my husband is so much harder than I could have ever imagined. It has made me only fall deeper in love with him. And although his time with me was short, I am so thankful he was here on my roughest days. His very presence brought such comfort.
I am thankful for my parents. They have served me, taken care of me, run me places I needed to go. They have loved me while I'm away from home.
I've been blessed with people bringing treats and meals and flowers. I've been loved by the body of Christ. My mother in law is blessing me by taking care of my family in Belize. This is no small task.
I am recovering every day but am still weak. But I know that it will only get better from here and am thankful.
I'm reminded the next time I know someone is hurting or sick how powerful even a simple visit will be. God created us to love and be there for each other. Something technology cannot replace.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Thanks for commenting. I love to hear from you.