Thursday, July 28, 2016

Feeling Loved

Ten days ago, our lives were thrown a loop and into a spinning whirlwind.   I feel like this is the first time I can sit and share my thoughts.

Mondays are always super busy for me.   It's when I run my errands, do lots of laundry and just try to get things in order around the house.   Tori and I had woke up at 5:45 to walk the ring road and my day was non-stop after that.  In retrospect, I'm glad that Monday before I knew that I would be leaving was so productive.  It probably helped my family that I left behind...I had gotten the car inspected that morning while the girls were at cooking class and ran to a couple of stores and market. We went home and had a quick lunch.   Then the girls headed to art camp for the afternoon.   I had asked Kailey to go and sent her with a phone.   A simple decision that I'm so thankful for.

Tori and I spent the afternoon working on school supply gifts.  Something I always do before school starts each year.   I had just put everything up and covered with a towel on my desk and sat down to watch a movie with Tori.  Lee ran out of the room and said to "come on."  Kailey had called and Erika was hurt really bad.  It's amazing how fast things can change.   We were there in prob three minutes but it felt like eternity.   I'm glad Lee was driving.  They met us in the parking lot with Erika who was crying and holding a paper towel.   I looked as we raced to the backseat and saw mangled fingers and lots of blood.  It's so hard to be strong in that moment.  My baby.   Lee raced to the ER.  Probably another three minutes.   He dropped us at the ER and they had us in a bed immediately.  I couldn't breathe.  Just pray.   Pray like I've never prayed before.   I didn't care if I offended anyone.   I wanted God to guide these doctors.   It was painful.  They gave her a shot in her bottom.   But also in each tiny little finger.  Four of my baby's fingers.  Two were crushed and two were amputated above the knuckle.  Within moments, Lee and I knew I would need to bring her to the states.  I couldn't think or plan.  Only live in that moment.   Hold Erika.   Pray over her.  Trust God.

Looking back, the doctors and nurses in the ER were great.   They treated her quickly and calmly.  When we go back to Belize, Erika and I will go visit them and thank them.

My head swirled.   Throwing things in a suitcase.  How long would we be gone?    How would we handle it in the states?   I knew I'd have a support system when I got here.  But did not know exactly what the details would be.  Even now, I am truly living one day at a time.  That's about all I can handle.

That first night, we had four sets of visitors come to see Erika.  And you know what, she smiled through it all.

 The next morning, Lee and Tori took her back to the hospital to redress her wounds.  This poor girl has now had her wounds redressed so many times, we have lost count.   I am now the one doing it on a daily basis.  And it breaks my heart every single time.  Then the long ride to the airport.   She left the house in Belize at 6 am on Tuesday morning and we arrived at the ER in Katy about 6 pm that night.   With little snacky type meals along the way, but no real full meals.

Both sets of grandparents and Josh met us at the ER.  I was blessed to have a friend get us there from the airport.  I was tense, tired, and not liking having to wait.   I felt they weren't taking her injuries seriously:(.  But then, things finally got moving.  We started blood work and they got her a room.  Hooked her up to an IV.   But it was getting late.  And things still were slow.   Why weren't they helping my daughter??  I told our parents to go home.   That I would let them know.  Then they said they were sending us home.  Would give us somewhere to go tomorrow.   Mama got mad then.  I came to the states for help.  I did not want to take her home.   With these wounds.   Further risking exposure.  I sent out prayer requests and then a miracle happened.   A hand surgeon would come see her.  First thing.  In the hospital.   They would admit her.   Aaaahhhhh.  Relief.   I sent Josh home.  And about 1 in the morning, we were admitted to a room three doors down from where I was in December.   The nurse went and found food and juice and water for Erika and me.   We ate and I changed.   I was thankful I had packed my backpack to spend the night.  And then we slept.   Which is good because I did not sleep the night before.   I may have only slept 3 or 4 hours but it definitely helped me for the next day.   Wednesday.   My third very long day in a row.



This is where we really began to feel the love.   Someone set up a go fund me, people began to call and visit.   Meals were set up for our going home.  And best of all, the surgeon came.  A hand surgeon.   Who was confident he could help Erika.   The surgery was set for 5 pm and honestly the day flew by.  Someone brought me a chip so I'd have a flown.  Grandparents, Josh and Tyler came and visited.   Erika took over my facebook talking to people from everywhere.

That night, about midnight, we went home with my parents and I finally slept.  Erika slept too.  Actually a lot during all these days.  People began to bring meals daily.  Visits were often and so uplifting to Erika and me.  And even my parents.   We felt so overwhelmed with love.  The living room began to fill with flowers, balloons, candy, stuffed animals and even a cookie bouquet.  My heart was so overwhelmed.   After some of the hardest days I can remember in a long time, Gods people just wrapped their arms around us and loved us and prayed for us.

I think writing this blog was mostly for me.   To remember this time.   That even though it was a hard time, that God was always with us.  And that we have a family who loves us and takes care of us and friends who are truly there.

Pray for my family left behind in Belize.   Struggling with cooking and laundry and all the mom things I do...and homeschooling needing to start soon.  Please also pray for supernatural healing of Erika's fingers so we can go home soon.   I miss my husband and other girls.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. I love to hear from you.