I'm sitting in Belize city at the dentist waiting for Lee as he gets work done.
I'm asked for money most days in Belmopan, but it is definitely more here in the city. Last week when we came, Kailey and i were out front just a short time on the street and asked several times. Now, as I sit and wait, a boy of about twelve, that actually looks well cared for, just came and asked the receptionist and then turned and begged me for money. He says he's hungry. I asked why he's not in school. He said no school today because the teachers are on strike. I could have given him a dollar or two. Made myself feel better. And taught him that begging is the way to go.
Foreigners are known for coming here and giving so much stuff. So much money. Don't get me wrong. There is much need here. But the money should be invested in education and things that better a person. Not just feed them for today. Because tomorrow they will be hungry again.
So often when I'm asked for money, I want to explain. That I actually am very generous. Very giving. But it is based on relationship. I care for three girls that I didn't give birth to. I invest in them. For them to have an education and better future. And for them to have a family. I give sacrificially of my time to so many things that I can't explain to someone I just pass on the street. But God knows. And I believe we need to be careful where we sow. That we are not just sowing into something that will never grow.
Living in a country surrounded by so much need, I don't want to become callous. But also living in this country, I see how much harm is also caused by just giving for the day and not helping them plan for a future.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Thanks for commenting. I love to hear from you.