As we drove through (kind of lost on our way home) downtown Houston yesterday, this was on the sign at the Catholic Charities. Yes, I must say, it tugged my heart. Yes, my life is full...and crazy right now. But my heart for the orphans of this world is not changed, just because my personal dream of adopting a child is complete. I guess I just feel there must be more I can do still.
I read other blogs of moms like me, who feel a need to help those children who need a mother. There is this kindred spirit I feel automatically when I meet or read the blog of a mom who has adopted...and all the more so, if they did it through Foster Care. Noone can totally understand you unless they have walked through this journey like you.
You see, my view of foster care has changed a lot in the last few years. We all know what foster kids are, yeah, there is a need. But there are people to fulfill that need. But you see, there really aren't. Going through the foster care process, we realized that there is a great need still. There are lost of foster homes, but many of them are in it for wrong motives. I say, you don't get much money...it takes a lot of money to care for a child...but you see, they don't always spend it on the child. I remember when we were in the adoption phase, the lawyer had to have pictures of the inside of our fridge. Of course, I did not know she would do that...and her visit was actually last minute and unplanned. They took photos of Erika's closet, room...they wanted to see that she was being taken care of. Because so many aren't. Thankfully, I had gotten groceries lately, but still, how sad that they have to check.
My favorite author, Karen Kingsbury, adopted three children from Haiti. I love to read her books. She often has tragic stories of children in foster care. I realize that there is that rare situation where children are taken away and shouldn't have been, but the majority of situations are absolutely horrible before the children are actually removed. We sat in court, waiting our turn, hearing story after story. It was heartbreaking...our world is filled with people who have children who do not deserve them. Because it is easy to make a baby...but difficult to properly parent that child...this is from one of my hubby's sermons. It is so true.
But then there are also so many wonderful, Christian families out there. So many of them have already had children and are raising them...to the best of their ability. They think about fostering and adopting, but it is hard emotionally, it is messy sometimes, it is heartbreaking at others. But it is so worth it. Our journey to Erika was long, and emotional, time-consuming, costly...but I would do it again. She is so worth it. Now that the 2 year long process is over, I can say that. I look at this little girl. You know what, we changed her destiny by adopting her. We broke generational curses over her life. She has a new inheritance. An inheritance of a strong loving family. Generations of unbroken marriages, serving Jesus.
Don't get me wrong...foster care is a huge investment, not to be taken lightly. We knew it was the path God was sending us on. We covered the process in prayer. We begged for God's favor with people that did not always know Him. And He did. He protected our hearts, protected our family, and protected our special little girl. He gave me the desire of my heart. Yes, it was a risky journey. But when you think about it, life is risky. When you get in car, you don't know if you will make it safely to your destination. When you make friends with someone new, it is a little risky. But life is about taking chances...and trusting God to guide you.
Anyway, back to my heart for orphans. There is an orphanage in Belmopan...No, I am not looking to adopt again. But I am looking forward to pouring into the lives of more children. And letting them know their life has purpose. And that I love them. And that God loves them. You know we say that phrase all the time...but do we realize that some people do not know that? That some children do not know that God has a plan and purpose for their lives..
Okay, I realize I am rambling. But I just have real heavy on my heart the need for Foster Parents that are good, and Christians, and that will give kids hope and a safe home to live in...
We must, we must, care for the orphans, and adopt the orphans....if we are pro-life...we must do something to help all these babies that we are saving...
Okay, off my soapbox. Just pray about what you can do...and how you can help.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Thanks for commenting. I love to hear from you.