Another update on my physical side... The past two days, I have been tested to discover what is causing my hyperthyroidism. I had to swallow a pill that measured how much iodine went to my thyroid. I have learned so much these last couple of weeks. So, today, was the final scan and it showed that I have Graves Disease...it is an autoimmune condition, obviously affecting my thyroid and making my body go crazy.
We have done all the research (on the internet, of course:) ). And so we already knew our options. Surgery was one, but risky. Our best option was for me to take radioactive Iodine and let it do its job. It takes longer than surgery, but it is safe. I like safe. But there are some precautions I have to take to protect those living with me. Especially Erika. It breaks my heart that I cannot hold her for about a week. I may send her to my moms a few days to make it easier on both of us. Thankfully, we are living with Kelly and she is holding her for me....
I am exhausted tonight. I am thankful for my friend who is playing legos, and making milkshakes and watching MACGYVER reruns with my kids. She is a blessing more than I can say. And I am thankful to be living here. My kids love it.
So the next week will be different for me. But then in about 4-6 weeks, I should start feeling better. I am looking forward to that happening at Christmas. I am ready to have my energy back, not sweat like crazy, and shake all the time.
God is good.
One specific thing I am praying for, is no negative side effects. That would happen this week if they did. Lee and Josh are leaving for two weeks, so it will be just me and the girls and my friends. I want to be strong. And feel like myself again.
My heart is ready for Belize. I have had to more things in the past year that I would never have done in the past. God has made me stronger and not afraid. It does not mean that my heart did not sink when I got that call a month ago...but I did not stay in that place.
Today, when the doctor spoke to me, it really helped. I honestly wish I could have taped the conversation to help my family understand what has been happening to me. I cannot think straight...I actually backed into a carport at the apartment recently!!! I get overwhelmed and frustrated so easily. I do not like it. But am thankful to know that this is not me. This is the disease. And God is using Doctors to treat me and make me well. He spent an hour just talking to me and explaining what is going on inside of me.
So, tonight, I sleep alone...Lee can't because it would be too much exposure. And I pray I rest well and ready to spend the day with my three blessings tomorrow. This week has been so crazy with moving and doctors appointments.
I am glad to hear that you finally know what is wrong and are on the way to a full recovery! I am sorry to hear that it is Graves, but God is healing you and soon you will have nothing to worry about. I will continue to pray for you! I miss you and love you! -Kristy
ReplyDeleteYour title cracked me up. You are so funny.
ReplyDeleteIf you need anything, just call!! The girls can come hang out here for some serious craft time if you need it.
Robyn -- we are praying for you here. What an awesome woman of God you are, seeing the bright side of things. You humble me with your love for God and for your family!
ReplyDelete