It is amazing how quickly children adapt to a new culture. It seems like Erika was born here. She is as happy as can be. Every child she sees is a new possibility for friendship and every child who sees her smiles. Isn’t it neat how God does that? I know she misses her friends, but she is so consumed with the newness of her life, that she is just having a blast. And she still has her family. And at 4 years old, her family is still her world. Her big brother and sister are still her heroes, most of the time. And they don’t have the normal distractions of the U.S. Currently, Tori is playing Restaurant with Erika. We found a store with lots of little toys and household goods, so Erika bought a little kitchen set with her money. It is so cute to see her finally have something new to play with. Her aunt sent a stuffed animal and small coloring books, which she has enjoyed. But she is happy to have some toys now. And I got her a couple of books that teach her Spanish (and me).
When we first moved here a week and half ago, we had absolutely no idea where we would live, how we would get around, where we put our shipment once it got here. But God has taken care of EVERY DETAIL. The first store I went in to seriously shop for groceries for our apartment, I was totally overwhelmed and just thought…How am I going to possibly feed our family on our budget? But God has taken care of those details as well. He has given me friends who are walking me through the process. I will not be able to do one stop shopping anymore, but I will be able to feed my family healthy meals within our budget. Several people pouring into me, spending time with me, teaching me how to shop like a Belizean. It is going to work, because God is in the details. I am slowly setting up some sort of house. I know our shipping is coming in, but there are still things like cleaning products and basic kitchen supplies that I was just having a hard time doing without. So we worked on that today and I feel a little more settled. I am learning how to cook from scratch and it feels good to know my kids are eating healthier than they were in the states.
The last few days have been rainy…all day long, not just a shower, but ALL DAY LONG. And now it is cold. It is actually pretty refreshing. All our family back home is complaining how cold they are, while we have been so hot already, and it is only February. Right now it is about 72, but feels much colder, because it is very damp. But it feels so good. I have all the windows open even though my feet are freezing. I want to soak up the coldness while it is here. Before long, it will be gone for sure.
I love Belmopan. I really, really do. I love the people. I love the mountains. I love the home I live in now and the one I am about to move to. I love going to market and buying fresh produce. And the excitement we feel when we find a rare grocery item after 6 stores. The hunt is exhilarating, as we break up to try to find it. I am exaggerating, but it is fun, in a way. I love how I know God has work for us to do here, and blessed to get started.
Tomorrow night we are going to the church where we have ministered the last three times we have done missions trips in Belize. The Pastor is actually gone, but our friend is preaching, so it works out. It will be our first long trip in our 20 yr. old car, so please pray for safe journeys. It will be so long waiting all day long to go to church. But that is the custom of a lot of churches here. We actually plan to do ours in the mornings when we start the church. Right now, we are just focusing on making relationships, and getting ourselves a little more settled.
But, I would say our family is adapting. Well. And for that I am thankful.
What time do they have church? I am excited for your road trip and we will be praying for the car. Francine
ReplyDelete