Tuesday, March 20, 2012

The Day After

Today is the day after...
Lots of laundry...
Lots of cleaning...
Back to school and work...
Back to normal...

I know a few thousand miles away, it is the same for my sister-in-law today...

I never wanted to nap while they were here, not wanting to miss something.
Today, that nap is about to overtake me.
I didn't really want to clean while they were here, not wanting to waste my time on unimportant things.
Today, there is a lot to do.

It always feels good to get back in the routine, but so thankful for the memories that were made last week.  They will be with us always.

When the kids are adults, there will be those stories of "remember that time, we visited you in Belize, and there was a scorpion at church..."  or "remember that time, your house was full to the brim with people, cots, chaos...remember how much fun that was????"  or "remember when we buried Erika in the sand, and Ryan and Josh???"

I am so thankful that life is not about the details of day-to-day, but rather about the special times.  They are the moments that really stand out.  The ones that make washing clothes and dishes, teaching school, vacuuming...are all about.  It is those special moments.  When you hold your breath, waiting to see your family or friends you haven't seen in a while, those fun, rare trips, those special times away.  They are the moments that make all the mundane moments in life worth it all.

Yesterday, when we left the airport and got in the van, I noticed it was REALLY quiet.  Like everyone was in  their own little world.  Everyone was a little tired from a fun week.  I think we were just taking it all in.  I put on some worship and we all sang along as we drove the uneventful, now familiar, hour long ride home.  We came home and the house was really quiet too...for a little while, then all was back to normal.

Now, back to our kingdom work...why we are here.  Sometimes I really miss Katy, Life Church, our family.  I am sad that I had to move away from all of them.  But then I begin to think about my new family, here in Belmopan.  And that is why.  And they are worth it.  And someday I will look back and have even a greater understanding of His purpose.  Because as in all of my life, it is only in looking back, that I can really see God's hand, the bigger picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. I love to hear from you.