Friday, March 23, 2012

What I love about Belize

Living in Belize, our lives are very different than they used to be.  One major way is that crime is a very real part of our life, and of those in our life.  This week has been a little sad in this area...

But, instead of writing about that, I wanted to write about what I love living here in Belize...

A little while ago, the girls, Lee and I walked down to the corner store to get stuff to pack their lunch tomorrow and some things I needed to take for a baby shower tomorrow.  I love that it is close...and love that the family goes together.

This morning, Lee and I woke up extra early and went to market.  We needed water/tennis shoes for the kids tomorrow.  So after buying my regular veg/fruits, we went to the garage sale type booths and found shoes for both girls...later found Josh some at a store.  I came home and made some yummy OJ.  I love that my family eats/drinks so much fresh food here.  And they consume more fruits and veggies here than we ever did in the states.

I love the church family we have here in Belize.  Just saw a few, spoke to a few on the phone, chatted with a couple on Facebook.  But I am so thankful for the people He has brought into our lives.  Their friendship is genuine...and it goes both ways.

I love the support network that the Lord has given us in the states.  We are constantly blessed with special snacks, toiletries that are hard to get here, books, etc.  We are also bombarded with prayer and encouragement.  It is much different than we ever experienced simply being a pastor.  God has set up people who take it seriously to keep in touch with us and encourage us.  

Most days :), I love that I homeschool my children.  It is just something we thought about in the states, but never probably would have done.  Some days are long, some days are crazy.  But I feel it has really drawn my children and Lee and I together.  We are together all the time, but it is neat too.  Today, the kids were being silly with me, we were all laughing, and I thought how much I enjoy that part of my life.  Our years with them are so short...I am thankful to have this extra time with them.

I love that my family appreciates the simple things more here.  After sweating all day, we are so thankful when it begins to cool in the evening.  And trust me, when we are in the states in July, we will greatly appreciate being in homes with AC, even if just for four weeks.  We had an extremely simple party for Josh last week: nachos, cokes and birthday cake.  Simple, but appreciated.  I love that.

There are many things that I have had to learn to do over this past year.  But now, I find comfort in the simpleness of hanging out my laundry to dry (most of the time), cooking for my family...from scratch, and going to six stores to gather a weeks worth of groceries.  It has become my new way of life.  And I'm finding that its not too bad:)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. I love to hear from you.