This weekend, there were a lot of murders here in Belize. So far, two leaders, of opposing gangs, have been killed. Then a drunken fight resulted in a murder here in a Belmopan village. Oh, and while the prime minister and police were holding a press conference over what happened this weekend, You guessed it? Someone else was murdered.
So, I think, but am not sure, that were about 6 murders, over the weekend in this little nation.
Little, meaning, about as many people as the community of Katy. I don't think there are typically six murders a weekend in Katy.
It is so crazy when I think about the "per capita" thing. There is so much crime in this little nation. Sometimes it is just statistics. Sometimes it hits closer because it involves someone we love or who was close to them.
The other thing is actually trying to find out what really happened. There was no "official" news all weekend. Just rumors on Facebook, much of which were not accurate.
We have a friend in the news industry and he usually is the best to know what really is happening. But then, he has to go research it for himself, too.
The lack of news can sometimes be scarier than the truth. Hearing that there is a "bloodbath" in the city and that there was "shooting all night long" in the city this weekend. It is still bad, but not as bad as it sounded.
I know that a lot of people in the city are very fearful, though. So, please pray for them.
This weekend, one of the largest gatherings in Belize takes place here in Belmopan. The Agric. There will be around 50,000 people coming from everywhere. Mostly the city. I will be staying home and praying. Really, I will. Praying for God's protection against any more gang retaliation. Praying for this nation. That we are just a small church. But God can use us.
We have a drug house a few doors down from us.
But you know what? I washed the feet of some of those children on Sunday.
And hopefully, we are giving those women and children hope that they can live for Jesus.
And I am so thankful, as Erika and took some extra plantain to my neighbor yesterday, several children in our church walked past. And they were happy to see us.
That is the difference here. We really live with the people we are ministering to.
The sweet girl who works at the bakery. She rode by our house yesterday. This morning, I told her to stop by and say hello next time. And I think she might. Now that I invited her. She has only come to church once. And she said every time they pass the George Price Center, her little boy says he wants to go there. I see her more than most people... God is planting a lot of little seeds...and we are just going to be ready.
The crime and sin can be overwhelming at times here. Sometimes I have to purpose in my heart to pray protection and pray against fear.
But I also see that God has put us in a place of really being able to make an impact on Belmopan, then maybe further.
When I prayed over these children on Sunday, I was praying for their future. That God would guide and protect them. That they would know God's destiny for their lives. Two of those children (erika and another), were missionaries called to this nation. They are already fulfilling destiny as they, even though they are children too, are still leaders.
So, we don't always know what is going on in the news immediately. But I do know that God is bigger and I have to trust Him. And I just have to continue in the purpose He has put us here for....
We have been praying God's protection on you all. Take care. Love, Tricia
ReplyDelete