Friday, October 5, 2012

Crime, Fear...what God's Word says

Monday morning, we were awakened with a phone call that a lady who has been attending our church was broken into, robbed, and her husband brutally murdered during the night.  She was in the local hospital because she had to jump out her second story window to escape the man.  I became very distracted.  First of all, heartbroken for this woman.  Second of all, my stomach was tight with fear.  After all, her home is WAY more secure than any home I know of.  How could this horrible crime happen...here, so close to my life here...  Wednesday morning, we were once again awakened with more bad news.  A friend's best friend, a beautiful young UB student had been brutally murdered that morning in Cayo, about an hour from  here.  Turns out, that it was probably the same man who committed both crimes.  Recently, like Thursday, released on bail for even more crime!!!  Why was this man out?  Why now are two families grieving needless death.  Lately, I almost cannot even bear to check the news.  It seems filled with murders...and they are getting closer.



So, with a heavy heart, I did my regular Bible study...a women's Bible study that a friends' church has sent me.  It is excellent and always seems to pertain and apply to exactly what I need.  It is a year long study written by Lisa Santagate.  So the days topic?  Confess your Faith.  With conviction, I read some of the following words..."During crisis, it is imperative to confess what the Word of God says about our situation.  Faith produces the positive.  Fear and doubt produce the negative."  I would love to say I was instantly better.  I was also sending some facebook messages asking a friend to intercede for me...and am definitely feeling her prayers.

The reality?  Crime is rapidly increasing here in Belmopan.  It is no longer just the city that is dangerous.  The other reality?  God does not always call us to the safest places.  God is using our family.  Lee is currently ministering at a conference in the city...and everyone knows about LifeNet.  Why?  Because the Lord is using our family to bring something fresh and relevant to the Belizean people.  And Belize desperately needs that touch that only Jesus can give.  And we are seeing lives change.

So, we keep our locks locked and read Psalm 91.  Yes, we must live wisely.  We must use caution and wisdom.  And then, we must trust God.  Trust Him that He has his hands on our family.  That we are "dwelling in the secret place of the Most High."

PSALM 91
He who dwells in the secret place of the Most High
Shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty.
2 I will say of the Lord, “He is my refuge and my fortress;
My God, in Him I will trust.”
3 Surely He shall deliver you from the snare of the fowler[a]
And from the perilous pestilence.
4 He shall cover you with His feathers,
And under His wings you shall take refuge;
His truth shall be your shield and buckler.
5 You shall not be afraid of the terror by night,
Nor of the arrow that flies by day,
6 Nor of the pestilence that walks in darkness,
Nor of the destruction that lays waste at noonday.
7 A thousand may fall at your side,
And ten thousand at your right hand;
But it shall not come near you.
8 Only with your eyes shall you look,
And see the reward of the wicked.
9 Because you have made the Lord, who is my refuge,
Even the Most High, your dwelling place,
10 No evil shall befall you,
Nor shall any plague come near your dwelling;
11 For He shall give His angels charge over you,
To keep you in all your ways.
12 In their hands they shall bear you up,
Lest you dash your foot against a stone.
13 You shall tread upon the lion and the cobra,
The young lion and the serpent you shall trample underfoot.
14 “Because he has set his love upon Me, therefore I will deliver him;
I will set him on high, because he has known My name.
15 He shall call upon Me, and I will answer him;
I will be with him in trouble;
I will deliver him and honor him.
16 With long life I will satisfy him,
And show him My salvation.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. I love to hear from you.