Thursday, September 4, 2014

Plugging Along

Sometimes it is in the monotony of serving day after day.  The little things.  The baby steps.  That is where we sometimes find ourselves right where we are supposed to be.  I have been in this spot of homeschooling, cooking, cleaning, laundry, repeat...  And sometimes I wonder what is the point of it all?  But there is a point.  I have a 7, almost 8 year old little girl, who was placed in our family to change her destiny.  So that she would know Jesus.  And I have an amazing almost 16 year old daughter, who I see blossoming before my very eyes.  She is beginning to babysit...and yes, it makes me nervous.  Yet, it speaks of the character that others, beyond myself,
 see in her.  And now we have a young teen that we are trying to mold, welcome, love, into our family.  And it is in the day to day that will happen.  It is in helping her learn many new things.  It is in teaching her simple things.  And it is in the family days where we just get out of here for the day.  Those days are exhausting physically, but oh so good for the soul.

 

After the cares of ministry were weighing us done a couple of weeks ago, we just left for the day.  And it was great.  Yes, it looks like paradise.  We won't talk about the hike there and back:)  But I saw lots of smiles that day.  And our packed picnic lunch tasted so yummy sitting beside the falls.  My heart was sad missing my Josh.  He would have loved this day.  But I am thankful that he is having new, fun experiences on his own.

Then this past weekend, the FMI Director, Jim Scott, came to visit us.  This is one of Tori's favorite people in the whole world.  We were so blessed just to hang out with this guy.  His sermon on Sunday morning touched a billion different points in my spirit.  One being that God calls us to do things that don't make sense to other people.  I feel like that is the story of my life (our life).  Why would we adopt a girl that is mostly grown?  Only because God Himself told us to.  And it's in the day to day, the little things, that we have to focus on the bigger picture.  Obedience to a Heavenly Father who knows what is best for his children.


Another really cool thing that happened this past weekend.  Just in the day to day.  Learning to hear God's voice.  I go to the children's home every other Saturday.  I had a hard time pulling something together this past week for Saturday.  And so I felt I should show a Christian movie instead.  As the movie played, I felt I was supposed to ask if any of the girls needed prayer.  This is not something I normally do.  I prayed with about ten of the girls, but THREE of them accepted Jesus.  It was all quite emotional...but special.  Because they are my girls...that I deeply love...and have relationship with.  And I got the privilege of praying with and for them.  

And that made the day to day stuff worth it all.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. I love to hear from you.