Saturday, August 28, 2010

Relaxing

Right now, I am just sitting on my couch...RELAXING. I am reading some blogs, checking facebook, and the TV is going.
Why, as moms, do we feel so guilty if we are not doing something every second of the day?
We have friends' kids over for the weekend, so it is nice that my kids have friends to hang out with. I really have a pretty busy weekend. We went swimming last night and then 6 people had to take showers and then doing laundry with 6 swim towels, 6 bath towels, and swimsuits...and just the regular stuff. Feeding and cleaning up from feeding 7 people, and I met with a friend for discipling this morning. We are heading to my in-laws later, then back home late and out the door early to go to church 1 1/2 hours away first thing in the morning.
Yeah, I am busy this weekend.
But right now, I am relaxing. And for some reason, I feel guilty about that. That I should be doing something, accomplishing something. To have something to show for my day.
I think about that as we go on the mission field. That we will want something to show, stories to tell about our time in Belize. But I have a feeling that there will be times that we are just being with people, building relationships with them. Nothing really anything to show off, just good old-fashioned discipleship. And that will take time. We probably won't go down there and have a church of 50 people the first month. Because that is not our vision. Our vision is to meet some people that don't know Jesus. To love them and show them who Jesus is. To spend our time just loving them, and pouring into them.
I think of the movie, "End of the Spear." If you haven't seen it, we have a copy. It is an amazing story of missionaries who loved, forgave, and loved some more. I always thought this movie was amazing, but saw it in a different light when we were called to the mission field. Of course, we aren't going to the same sort of situation they went. But we are still going to a dangerous place. One of the leading causes of death in Belize is traffic accidents. As a mom, that is not too exciting. Burgularies are high. There is disease. These are all the things I thought about when Lee told me the Lord was calling us there. But God has helped me so much with this fear. Sure, I will pray harder, living in that situation. But I believe I will see God more powerfully then as well. Even already, my family taking this huge step of faith. Leaving so many of our possesions, and living on suppport, we are seeing God's hands on us.
As I was driving home from San Antonio, this week, our air conditioning in our car went out. And I just began praying over my car. I told God, we didn't need to be paying to repair this car anymore that He just needed to fix it. But the car remained hot, we were dripping with sweat...so I just figured He wasn't going to fix it. When we got home, Lee went out to check it...and guess what? It worked. I can't explain it. I have driven the past two days and it is working. Yes, I guess I can explain it. We serve a BIG God who is concerned about the LITTLE details of our lives.
Okay, back to relaxing...Have a great relaxing day yourself (and don't feel guilty about it:))

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. I love to hear from you.