Thursday, September 16, 2010

Book Reviews

The other thing that I am enjoying about being home is that I am reading.  I haven't read in so long prior to this.  So I wanted to share a couple of books that were very profitable and would probably bless you, as well.

"Bringing up Girls" by James Dobson was amazing.  I really want to get the one about boys now too.  I love our public library.  It is great about keeping up with current books and has a wide selection of Christian books, as well.  Anyway, this book was right on about raising girls in this society.  It is not like the society I was raised in.  Where the internet is a great blessing, but also our girls are sometimes just not mature enough to handle it yet.  And where they are raised in a society that says all they are worth is what is on the outside.  In a time, when the health of our nation overall, is not doing too good, this is just an overwhelming pressure for our girls.  There were so many other great things in there.  If you have a girl, no matter what the age, you need to read it.  It really opened my eyes to the things they go through and deal with.  The pressures that my generation really did not even have.

The other book that I just read was by Lisa Whelchel.  It is called "Friendship for Grown-ups."  Ladies, this is a good one.  She is Foursquare, has been in ministry her whole adult life, and used to be on the "Facts of Life."  And is a woman who had a road, like all of us, trying to figure out how to make and keep friends...not just surface friends, but deep down, soul-sister friends.  Again, the technology of our world makes it easier to keep in touch, and find old friends, but sometimes, we are not connecting deeply.  And we need to be connected to each other.  We all need friends.  And no matter how many friends you have, she really shares her journey to be able to find people who she could truly be transparent with...that she did not feel that she had to be perfect in front of.  I feel so blessed that I have friends that I can share anything with, but in this journey of moving to Belize, I definitely took to heart the things she shared.  And how important it is, in this season of homeschooling, and having kids with me all the time, to still make time to get together with my friends....

1 comment:

  1. I'm going to look for both of them the next time I'm at the library. Thanks for the suggestions!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. I love to hear from you.