Thursday, September 14, 2017

Being Hurt

 A few years ago, I read the book, The Bait of Satan, by John Bevere.  I have since lent it out, but at the time, I took some notes and led the Youth Net one night on the subject of offense.  The ministry time that evening was great because literally everyone in the room had something they needed to deal with.

If we are alive, we will be offended at some point...or many points in our life.  I feel like if you are in ministry, all the more so.  People hurt people.  Sometimes on purpose and sometimes totally unaware.  I know I have hurt people.

So what are we to do in this world of people hurting other people?  How are we to handle this as mature believers?  It is not easy.  In fact, I feel that it is easier to forgive a non-believer than a believer.  We expect more from those who follow Christ, so our disappointments are greater.

One thing that I learned in the book is that confrontation is not always the answer.  Not always what God would have us do.  Sometimes confronting things makes them worse.  But there are definitely times that the Lord does want us to bring it out in order to bring healing.  This is where it gets tricky.

But the other thing that happens in the body of Christ is that Satan gets a stronghold of offense.  He wreaks havoc on their lives and destroys relationships with those around them.  He blinds the believer by focusing on oneself and the hurt one feels.  But don't you know that God uses other people to sift us?  To make us stronger.  He builds humility in us as we handle offense with love and forgiveness.  I have learned and am learning that we must have grace for those around us.  We must try to see things through others' eyes.  We must have grace as they are on a journey as well.  

One of the other more difficult things the Lord has shown me is that we must truly pray for those who offend us.   Because they probably need it the most.  If they have offended me, then they probably have offended others.  So, we must birth those prayers in love.  Out of love for our fellow man, that God would reveal to them and bring healing in their lives so they will be considerate of others.

There are some offenses that will never be "taken care of".  There will be those in your life who continuously offend you.  This is where maturity as a believer comes in.  Where you love them anyway.   It is up to us to be the forgiver and not to let bitterness set in.  Bitterness and unforgiveness hurt you and those closest to you.  In fact, it repels people from wanting to be around you.

In our Christian walk, God does not promise ease.  In fact, the more you grow, the more of a target you are.  But have the victory.  Choose to forgive.   Choose not to be offended.  That is the happiest place to live.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. I love to hear from you.