Lee and I are anglo. We have three brown children living with us in Belize:) Quite often, I see people staring at us. Especially when Aviya yells "Mom" or "Dad" loudly. I am a very private person. But I have seen how God has used our journey to help others to step out to foster and adopt. It is not a journey for every family. But I encourage anyone who is questioning if this is what God wants for their life.
Today, I was buying my produce. The lady knows me well. She sees me at least once a week if not more. She sees me with all my different children at different times. This morning, the stand was pretty empty. I said something about the journey of getting one of my daughters to eat veggies. And she said, "the dark skinned girl is not yours, right?" Yes, she is mine, I thought. But I told her that I am adopting two Belizean girls, have two birth children and we adopted Erika before we moved to Belize. She grabbed her throat and got choked up and said she wanted to do that too. It was just such a moment I feel the Lord used. She shared some of her personal journey and began to ask me very personal questions. I am used to this now. When you foster, your privacy goes out the door because people are so curious. But I encouraged her that if she was feeling that was what she wanted, to pursue it. I always wanted to adopt. It took me years to get up the courage to actually do it. And I remember it was a couple who visited our church for only one month that the Lord used to help Lee and I to step out.
People watch our journeys. Make sure you encourage others along the way. You never know how many lives you may be changing. We set out to adopt one child and ended up adopting three...
No comments:
Post a Comment
Thanks for commenting. I love to hear from you.