Yesterday, I did my grocery shopping for the week. And looked at some things to get the kids to make their easter baskets...yes, I still do that. I have a 4 yr old, you know.
I brought baskets with me, but nothing else. Easter chocolate, or any chocolate is just way too much here:( So I was a little dissappointed. But I did get some peeps and gummy worms. Its still special.
And I decided not to color eggs this year, either. Hey, that is money we need for groceries that we actually eat!!! So, this year is a little different.
We have friends that went through Missions training with us last year, that are in Australia now. Her post on Facebook was about there not being Easter candy, like jellybeans, in Australia. It was dissappointing for her as well. But turns us to the real reason we celebrate.
Jesus died...then he Rose...that is an amazing miracle that we so often, in the church, take for granted. We have heard it a million times. And our hearts become callous. The eggs, and candy are not bad, or wrong. But so often, even in Christian homes, these festivities cloud what Easter is really about. We, yes, me, I am guilty too, spend our week before Easter running around to get the perfect Easter outfits for our children, find the perfect candy, fill the eggs with candy. Plan big Easter dinners. None of that is wrong. I would totally be doing all of that if I was in America right now. But, being here, away from it all. Away from the Walmart displays...helps me to realize that all of it is not that important. We will dress nice on Sunday. My children will get a small basket full of some things they will appreciate. And then we will go and serve the people that have quickly become our family here in Belize. And we will worship the King of Kings who rose, so that we could be free.
Monday, I was a little sad and dissappointed. I am thankful that the Lord helped me get it in perspective.
On another note, it was so neat as I walked around market this morning, that i knew people. I saw several people that I knew. That is so cool. And helps this be my home. To go to market and see my friends.
Recently I cleared my pink phone of all my US numbers (because I dont want Erika to accidentally call one of you and use up my minutes!!!!) and I was left behind with like 6 numbers in my contacts. A reminder, once again, of starting over. Getting new numbers, new contacts here in Belize. New life.
Still same reason to live and serve:
Thank you for sending Your Son!

No comments:
Post a Comment
Thanks for commenting. I love to hear from you.