| trash...only got worse as the night went on |
| the cotton candy was good:) |
| This girl and her poses!!! She had so much fun with Christopher. |
| and was happy the big girls saved her some cotton candy |
| loved the real live Mariachi Band |
| Lee and Terrance enjoying some darts...except one popped off and almost hit this baby who was already crying...poor baby being stuck in there while her parents worked. |
| the airplane...Andrea and I were thankful theirs was broke and didnt go up high...no seatbelts, some of the other kids were hanging out of them!!! |
| hard to capture the crowds...they were suffocating |
It was definitely one of those CULTURE shock moments for me. The rides were VERY different and very old. We had to tell Erika not to stand up while the ride was moving, since there was nothing to hold her in, but Jesus! Erika had fun though riding two different rides with her friend, Christopher.
There was trash EVERYWHERE. Very few trash cans, and they were all overflowing…so the people literally just threw the trash all over the ground. Granted we were there on a Saturday night, when it had been going for two days already. But the trash would literally trip you up as you walked. UGH.
People from the whole country of Belize were here. Last year, they said there were 50,000 people. Looking at the crowds, it seemed that they were all there tonight. You had to squish your way through the crowds of people, and try not to lose the people you were with. This part was a little hard and scary for me. We had our two girls, an older girl, and sometimes Josh, trying to keep up with us. It was easier just to carry Erika. And the family we were with also had two small children and a pregnant belly.
Our dinner was very yummy. Barbecue chicken with the sides. Of course, it was 7:30 when we ate, but it was so good. We went with our restaurant owner friends. So they were good at picking a place to eat. But the only hard thing is that we couldn’t visit with our friends, til we were actually leaving because the music was SOOO loud.
The Agricultural is the biggest event here in Belize, and we saw so many people we knew. So many families out enjoying the evening. Josh and Winnie each took off with a group of their friends. Poor Tori had to stay with us. Today was a little sad for her. It is her best friend, Emily’s birthday, and it is the first time she has been away from her for her birthday for many years. So, we came home and skyped her BFF and I think there is joy back in her life now.
On a more serious note, there was one point, when we first walked through the very congested crowds. People were drunk everywhere, the music was blaring, there was a military and Police presence, but the main thing I would say is that it was just mass CONFUSION. I honestly felt that I was walking into the gates of hell. I realize that I have had a pretty protected life. I have not hung out at bars or party scenes, so am not really comfortable with all that. But people are foolish and scary when they are drunk. And having my children with me, made me all the more uncomfortable. And being in a foreign country added to it. And being in masses of people...I just did not like it. I was so relieved when we kind of got through the madness area. But we had to walk through a couple more times during the evening, just to get to one side or the other. The other thing is that people would randomly drive through the crowds of people. It was crazy. But the second time we walked through, I felt God tell me to see the people through His eyes. I wanted to cry. All these people just partying like crazy...and acting stupid...really, there is no other way to put it. And doing things for the rest of the evening that they may regret the next day. My heart began to break...for Belize. Because this is what they consider fun. Not everyone, but a lot of people. And the young people that we are ministering to...these are the adults around them. I cannot change the culture of this country. Only God can. But I can change the culture of the young people in our lives. And they can change the culture of this next generation.
Tonight was a little like a movie to me. Kind of like "IS THIS REAL LIFE?" I really thought that as I held Erika close to me, and kept my other arm on Tori. I kind of felt like, Why did I bring my kids here? Yes, we definitely got a taste of Belize. Yes, it was very eye opening. But even our time with our friends...we were so busy just trying to keep a hand on our kids, and the music was so loud, we couldn't even talk.... I was thankful though that we were with them. They usually set up a booth and sell food, so it was new for them too.
I am thankful to be showered and in bed tonight. And all my little chicas in bed as well. Large crowds are not necessarily my thing. But large crowds of intoxicated people... Maybe next year, we will go in the morning:)
I do not regret going tonight, though. Because I know this is all around me. Belize is a party country. Not so much Belmopan, but throughout the country. It was a reminder to me tonight...that I am surrounded by people partying straight into hell. And a reminder to keep on, to keep my eyes open for divine appointments. And to press in, and to keep pouring into the kids. One big thing I have seen is that they are hungry for good Christian music...and I love music, and have lots of it on my Itouch. They all want to know the names of the songs, etc.
Tomorrow, we celebrate 7 years of Foursquare in Belize.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Thanks for commenting. I love to hear from you.