Saturday, January 5, 2013

My empty ring finger

In October 1991, the week after my 18th birthday, Lee gave me the most beautiful ring and asked me to be his wife.  For over 21 years, every night before I go to bed I have put that ring somewhere safe.  Every morning, even if I am just going to be staying around the house, I put that ring on.  It is my most precious piece of jewelry.   It is symbolic of so much and is something I treasure.

I remember the night that Lee asked me to marry him (a Wednesday) when I went back to my dorm at Dallas Baptist University, there was a special "engagement" ceremony that the girls did.  I remember the night so clearly.  They passed around the ring on a candlesick, we all sat in a big circle and we sang some song. When it came to the girl who got engaged, you blew it out.  Oh, those senior girls were so mad it was a freshman.  I really don't think I even knew the millions of ways my life was about to change.  By the time my sophomore year came around, I was married, living three hours away from my family and friends, attending a new school and had a new job and was somebody's WIFE.

Over the years, I have lost two of the small diamonds that go around the big one.  I guess the prongs have just loosened and then we had to get them repaired and the diamond replaced.

Well, sometime after Christmas, I was cleaning up and somehow the towel caught on my ring.  I didn't think much of it...then...I checked my ring...and my diamond was gone.  Literally like trying to find a needle in a haystack.  We looked everywhere, but I am not even really sure when I lost it.  Did I just notice because the prong caught?  Honestly, I think it probably went down the drain or in the trash while I was cleaning up.

So...I am without a wedding ring right now.  I constantly reach down and it is not there.  I don't like it, but I really cannot wear it the way it is.  I need to get it fixed...yet would really rather do that when we go to the states.  But that is kind of a while away.  My hand feels so empty and I am so self-conscience about not having it.

But I think it is a reminder that sometimes you don't realize how special something really is to you until it is gone. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. I love to hear from you.