Monday, January 7, 2013

Unexpected Nice weekend

I feel so bad that I have no pictures to upload of our day on Saturday.  I only had my Itouch, and couldn't figure out how to get those pictures here for you.  But let me tell you about our day.

After the holidays and laziness and a much needed break, it was time to get busy.  Thursday and Friday were very productive as we jumped back into school and got some things done around the house.

It has been raining A LOT.  Saturday, we woke up to another rainy day.  So, I asked Lee if we could go to my favorite place, Spanish Lookout.  We woke up our snoozing kids and headed out.  I couldn't believe all the people we knew in the store there.  I guess everyone had the same idea.  And the pizza and ice cream were especially tasty.  I enjoyed just the chatter, squabbling, laughing of my three kids.  It was a happy day.  Then, Lee had recently met an older man who runs a lumber yard.  He had told Lee to come by and visit sometime.  Saturday seemed like the perfect sometime.

It seemed like we were heading to the middle of nowhere.  But it was the most beautiful middle of nowhere to be seen.  The hilly roads took us up and down, curving through countryside with very few homes, just lots of farms.  And it hit me why I love going out there so much.  It reminded me of the town I grew up in New York.  It is about the same size too.  I love Spanish Lookout's small town feel, farms, tractors, small schoolhouse.  Just love it.  Love the big beautiful trees.

Anyway, we finally made it and the man had met us part of the way to help get us there.  He reminds us both of Lee's dad.  Retired, but still working hard!  He took us around and I began to think, "cool, unscheduled field trip for the kids."  He showed us how to plane the wood.  It looked yucky on the outside but the inside was beautiful mahagony.  It was so smooth.  He did several pieces of wood the same way and knew each kind of wood.  He said, that is what happens when you have worked with lumber for 37 years.  The kids were fascinated, especially Erika.  We saw some of the things they have built and there was actually a man working on a coffin for an older lady who had just passed away.  Just a simple wooden coffin.

Sunday was a great day at church.  There has been lots of sickness and lots of rain, two things that keep people from church here in Belize.  But, although it seemed empty at 10:30, we were quickly filled up.  We were missing some families, but still had a great turnout.

For lunch, we always do the same thing.  We go to Mexican Taco.  While I love it, its fast, easy, sometimes you want to go somewhere else.  I am always thankful not to cook...because the rest of the week, I do:)

Our friends had told us about a place that has the best Hamburgers.  This sounded good because we don't particularly like the hamburgers here.  So, Sunday seemed like a good time to go.  We loaded the van to the brim and headed out on the Western Highway.  The setting was beautiful.  There is also an equestrian school there.  So as we were eating, we got to see some little girls riding horses.  And Tori took Erika to the stable to see more horses.  The girls were definitely happy.  The food was yummy and the fellowship was sweet.  

It was just a great weekend:)








No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. I love to hear from you.