Two years ago, we moved into our house. It was a total blessing from the Lord. It is a nice size home by Belizean standards, yet, was a little small when we first moved in. We were guardians to the homeowner's daughter and then our own three kids and Lee's office. But it was doable and we are blessed. We were not sure if we would continue to live here, though, after Wini left.
But, now, each of our kids has their own room (which is more condusive to their homeschooling) and Lee's office is now outside of the house. Whew, we can breathe a little now. And I find myself more content with the home.
This house is not very "homey" to me, though. I am not an interior decorator, but with the tile floors and white walls, the home is more practical than it is comfortable. Yes, it does feel like home...but in a very temporary sense.
Decorative things are harder to find here and are more expensive than a simple run to Walmart or Hobby Lobby. But I am on a quest, now, to make our home more "us", more permanent feeling, more comfortable.
Tori was the first to kind of spur me on. Her room is very much her personality. She has done a great job of expressing herself through her sayings and pictures on her walls. We encounter challenges because the walls need to be painted and they are concrete. We use more tape than we use nails. And our window curtains must be airy, so the wind can blow in through the windows. And we each have a box fan in one window of our room. Necessity, but not so pretty.
Next, I began working on Erika's room. We went with "pink". It brightens up the dark wood of her room. It is a fun room to play in, but her comforter makes it cozy for sleeping.
So, when Lee's office finally moved out of our bedroom, it instantly felt more like my own room. But I still didn't like the furniture arrangement. Our room is long and big, but we also have a lot of furniture. Huge freestanding closets, which we have kept out from the wall to make another closet behind where we can store things.
Well, Saturday, Tori and I went and got some nice, breeeeezy curtains for my room. Then, Lee and I moved things around. Well, actually Josh helped with the Muscle part. But I still had a lot of work, cleaning under things that hadn't been moved in years (we bought most of the furniture from the homeowners when we moved in). But I LOVE MY ROOM. Finally... I still have some things I would like to do. But, finally, my room seems cozy and comfortable and more like me and less plain.
Life here is hard and busy and crazy and so decorating has fallen far to the the bottom of our list. But it is amazing how just doing a little rearranging, getting some curtains, throwing some throw pillows from our home in Katy on the bed, makes me feel so much happier. It is amazing how making the asthetics of our home has just made me really LOVE it!
Now, to get the hot water maker fixed!!!!! Praying for this to happen today. I am not "Belizean" enough to tolerate the cold showers!!!
But, now, each of our kids has their own room (which is more condusive to their homeschooling) and Lee's office is now outside of the house. Whew, we can breathe a little now. And I find myself more content with the home.
This house is not very "homey" to me, though. I am not an interior decorator, but with the tile floors and white walls, the home is more practical than it is comfortable. Yes, it does feel like home...but in a very temporary sense.
Decorative things are harder to find here and are more expensive than a simple run to Walmart or Hobby Lobby. But I am on a quest, now, to make our home more "us", more permanent feeling, more comfortable.
Tori was the first to kind of spur me on. Her room is very much her personality. She has done a great job of expressing herself through her sayings and pictures on her walls. We encounter challenges because the walls need to be painted and they are concrete. We use more tape than we use nails. And our window curtains must be airy, so the wind can blow in through the windows. And we each have a box fan in one window of our room. Necessity, but not so pretty.
Next, I began working on Erika's room. We went with "pink". It brightens up the dark wood of her room. It is a fun room to play in, but her comforter makes it cozy for sleeping.
So, when Lee's office finally moved out of our bedroom, it instantly felt more like my own room. But I still didn't like the furniture arrangement. Our room is long and big, but we also have a lot of furniture. Huge freestanding closets, which we have kept out from the wall to make another closet behind where we can store things.
Well, Saturday, Tori and I went and got some nice, breeeeezy curtains for my room. Then, Lee and I moved things around. Well, actually Josh helped with the Muscle part. But I still had a lot of work, cleaning under things that hadn't been moved in years (we bought most of the furniture from the homeowners when we moved in). But I LOVE MY ROOM. Finally... I still have some things I would like to do. But, finally, my room seems cozy and comfortable and more like me and less plain.
Life here is hard and busy and crazy and so decorating has fallen far to the the bottom of our list. But it is amazing how just doing a little rearranging, getting some curtains, throwing some throw pillows from our home in Katy on the bed, makes me feel so much happier. It is amazing how making the asthetics of our home has just made me really LOVE it!
Now, to get the hot water maker fixed!!!!! Praying for this to happen today. I am not "Belizean" enough to tolerate the cold showers!!!
I'd love to see what you have done. Tori's room was so wondrful with all her things on the walls.
ReplyDeleteTricia