Thursday, August 8, 2013

A Wedding in the Village

There are two very different worlds here in Belize.  Last Saturday, Lee performed his first wedding in Belize.  In a little Baptist church in the village of Maya Mopan (because that was close enough for everyone to walk to).  It was a surreal experience for us.  Seriously, I will never watch Nacho Libre the same.

Poor Lee was operating on pure fumes at this point.  After four teams, he was totally depleted and had fallen asleep after lunch.  I let him sleep as long as possible, not realizing he had not even picked out any clothes for the wedding yet.  All his white shirts had yellowed in the closet, but he had no choice.  He had to wear what he had...but it all worked out.


The Decor.  Lee and I got there on time and everyone was staring at me...the only white person:)  Most of the people only spoke Ketchie.  The church had some very loud worship before the wedding.  No,  really...look at those speakers:)

Then Lee said they asked if I would go pick up the bride.  I liked that for two reasons.  I could get in some AC because it was SOOO hot.  And also, because the bride is someone I love so much.  I am so proud of her willingness to set an example and marry in a culture that does not value marriage.  I am proud of how her and her husband have grown so much in the Lord since coming to LifeNet.  And I enjoyed the little time once we got to the church and everyone else got out of the car and I could just talk to encourage her:)  It was a sweet time.




Barry and Laura.  They serve so faithfully in Maya Mopan.  And this is who the bride chose to give her away.  I think it speaks a lot of Spiritual Fathering.

Lee's face speaks of how proud he is of this couple.



Their eldest daughter.

The Happy  Bride and Groom:)


And after the wedding, I am not kidding, they loaded up those wooden pews on the tops of trucks and took them down the street to the reception.  I should have taken a picture of that:)

It was a joyous occasion.  One other thing:  that whole family woke up early Sunday morning and was at church even though they had such a big day the day before.  This speaks so much of their commitment.

God is doing amazing things here in Belize.  Here in Maya Mopan.  He is raising up godly families in the village to be a light.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. I love to hear from you.