Sometimes God asks us to do things that seem weird or crazy to other people. It seems that the longer we walk with God the more crazy things He asks of us. To name a few, we have taken in a few kids over the years that we did not give birth to, to care for. We adopted a child. We homeschool. We moved to a third world nation to disciple people. All those things absolutely were out of obedience to Jesus. All those things we were questioned on along the way. But that is how it is. Sometimes we just do things because Jesus told us to. And then sometimes those things we later hear stories of how God used that very thing to minister to someone.
In Dallas, we used to make cookie calls and deliver them to visitors. Or should I say, I made cookie calls:) And money was tight back then so it often was a sacrifice.
And I wasn't the best baker.
One time I had burned a few sets of cookies, was in tears, but felt we should still take something to a family that had visited the day before. All I had left was a quick bread mix. No cooking from scratch for me back then. So the bread turned out pretty good and we delivered it to the family.
That family later became leaders in our church. And they told us the story of visiting our church and then receiving that bread. They literally had no food in the house and no money. So the bread was God ordained. Cookies would not have been as good. Bread fed that family for dinner that night. Of course, we never knew until much later. But sometimes God uses those things that seem less than or different at the time.
Today, I had some CDs someone from Katy had made for us. I was saving them to my computer and felt like the Lord told them to give them to someone. Someone who I am not even sure if she is saved. Someone who definitely has not heard worship music like was on these CDs. I argued with God and told Him it would be awkward. But kept feeling Him tell me to give them to her. She recently went through a tragedy and is deep in grief. Finally it was time for me to give them to her. I explained that the Lord can speak to us through music powerfully and asked her to listen to them. Please pray that I was obedient and that this person comes back receptive for me to minister to her...
We had a guest speaker here for Youth Camp last week. His ministry was great. We are still hearing about it. I was ministered to as well. We get so busy pouring out that is a blessing to be poured into as well.
Tonight is the first time in two weeks we are having NetGroup here at the house. Last week, we had to cancel because of camp and the week before we showed a movie at a local restaurant. Ready for what the Lord has tonight. One of the girls that we seen saved, discipled and gone through the 23 weeks of leadership training will be ministering tonight. And that is what it is all about! Raising up leaders.
I have had this post in a tab page since the day you posted it, and thought about your cookie/bread story many times. I pray that I heed the voice of God and the prompting of his Spirit to bless others. I am so glad you found later what a blessing this action was to them.
ReplyDelete