Recently I was having a rough day with the whole Homeschooling Gig. Discouragement began to set in and I knew I needed to send out a signal for prayer...to a friend that would understand.
Homeschooling is not big here...kind of like people are against it. But it is what we are supposed to be doing. And most of the time it works. But I don't have a nice homeschool support group, like people in the states do, or in Texas, I should say. In fact, I feel like people here don't really get homeschooling. I think they think we just "hang out" with our kids all day. When in reality, we wake up really early, work really hard before it gets too hot, then typically rest and watch a movie in the afternoon. So our mornings are intense, but if someone comes in the afternoon, they think we don't really school our kids:/
Anyways, back to my SOS need prayer to a fellow homeschooling mom in the states. I emailed the right person, because I immediately felt her prayers. And her words of wisdom keep ringing in my ears. And as I washed the dishes after lunch (before reading her email), the Lord kept telling me, "This is your purpose right now...your kids, educating them, pouring into them, molding them....this is your purpose above all else right now."
But my friend's words were that the "heart issues" were even more important than the actual education. And it is so true. Why must I insist that they do their work to the best of their ability? Because that is something that will stick with them...more than remembering what "xyz" stands for or how to spell "perfection". Teaching my six year that writing neatly is important...not because anyone else sees besides mommy most of the time, but because she should want to do her best and work hard.
I see the blessings of homeschooling my kids over and over again. It is not for everyone, but it is for us. Today as we washed the dishes together, Erika rambled on and on about fish and why they don't have eyelids and so many other interesting facts. I was amazed at how much she actually retained from her Science pace. And the joy we share together as she does her fast facts in record time. And the pride I feel with my older two who work so hard and are doing so well...in subjects like Math, that can be extremely challenging.
So, we plug away. Tomorrow, actually, we are taking a day off from school. We found out all the high schools had off on Monday because they marched in the parade on Saturday. My kids deserve a day off too because they worked very hard this past Saturday, sharing the Love of Jesus with Belmopan:)
No comments:
Post a Comment
Thanks for commenting. I love to hear from you.