Monday, May 30, 2011

So much to say, so little time...

I have about three different posts stirring around in my head, but they will all be combined into one, simply because my life is so busy at the moment.

First of all, my cousin's death has really impacted me.  The fact that he was Lee's age, in a foreign land, and I love my aunt and uncle so much.  His wife makes a daily blog post that comes to my email.  Reading about her walking into this place of grief is so moving to me.  And really making me appreciate my family, my husband, my own life.  We never know when tragedy could be around the bend.  Yesterday we were at a pool party for a little 7 yr old girl in our church.  It was also the day of her baptism.  About halfway through the time, she had taken off her life vest and given it to a friend to use.  I had seen, but assumed it meant she could swim.  And she was doing fine.  About 30 minutes later, we were all in the pool, enjoying the coolness, when her father began to scream her name (and I think mine, but can't remember).  I turned to see her struggling, having floated into the deep end.  Her eyes were full of fear and I got to her as fast as I could to pull her up.  She took in a lot of water, but was okay.  As her mother got her out and was holding her, I just started to cry.  It was very emotional to me to realize how fragile life is.  The lives of our children.  A moment of joy so quickly could have been tragic.  Later, Lee baptized this precious girl in the pool.  And I am thankful to God.

The other thing I wanted to share is how our view of time has changed here.  I RARELY wear a watch anymore.  I occassionally glance at my phone, but there are just so few reasons that I have to keep up with time here now.  People come and visit and there are not usually time restraints.  Even if you tell them you have somewhere to go...they will just stay and leave with you.  Saturday night we had a seniors dinner for Vivian an hour away.  And one of our young couple stayed, so the wife could do my hair.  I did not ask her to, she just wanted to serve me:)  But we do have time that we start church, and things like that, but time is just not locked in stone like it was for us in the US.

I have realized how much Belize has become my home.  That LifeNet is our family.  They bring joy and laughter to our hearts.  We cry with them and for them.  Yesterday, one of our young boys that comes with a group of about 5 15-17 year olds, had to leave and could not stay for church.  I was just talking to him, and sensed something was hurting him.  So I pushed a little.  He shared of some tough things that had happened to him that week, and my heart broke, as I am sure his mother's did as well.  He is okay, but living here is tough.  And it hits close to home that my son is the same age.  This young man is a good kid, plays on the Youth National Futbal team, and still has to face danger.  And he is my family now.  And so I will do what I can, on my knees, praying for him.  Another young man, a senior, brought his mom and sister to church for the second time yesterday.  I felt his joy as his family is wanting to walk this journey with him.  We took them home in the van and his little sister put the crown (for Esther) that she had made with Tori, on his head.  And I love his big smile.

It has been a busy weekend for my inlaws to be here.  And hot.  They are true missionaries now, experiencing all aspects of our life here in Belize.  I know they will go home and rest and recover.  But they will not forget these amazing people that Lee and I have come to serve.  And I know they see as well, the need for us to come.  As we had our biggest service yesterday of 29 people.  Most of whom have come to the Lord through LifeNet.  I dont say that in boasting, rather, that God shows us continually our purpose here.  Reminds us when our house is full of people who love and want to celebrate Lee's birthday on Saturday and give him a fountain symbolizing him pouring into their lives.

Here are a few pics of our weekend:

pizza for lunch for the birthday boy

look carefully and you will see Andreas belly...cant wait for her baby to be born, and Akeem is just one of the friends that is serving the Lord due to Terrance inviting him

everyone LOVED the cake Lee's mom made!!!

thankful for our church family

Vivian, all dressed up for Senior parent night.

The restaurant was so nice, food yummy, and service emotional...as three of the kids are active members of LifeNet.

This is Rianie and her mom, grandma, and step dad.  We love this girl:)

We were thankful to enjoy this evening with Vivian.  She was stunning.

the girls all just happened to wear pink on  Sunday

Brian, with his precious sister behind him.  She put her crown on him.  Their mother came as well.

Erika and Amarie at the party.  Their family attends LifeNet as well.  She is about a year older than Erika.  She could be a model.

The birthday girl and her baby brother.  Tirzah is a born leader and precious spirit.

Winnie enjoyed the pool

Tori did too

there was even a little one

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. I love to hear from you.