I was just reading one of my friends' blogs and it just made me think.
This past year has been so crazy and so full of change. And these last few months, I have literally had to relearn how to live. I have had to relearn how to shop, cook, clean, do laundry, and yes, even drive in my new home. I have had to learn how to be home all the time and not go to the church office, not send my kids off to school, and now not send my husband off to work. He just showers and goes to the office in our bedroom.
But as I read my friend's blog, I was reminded by the Lord, that He has answered my prayer to be home---all of me---with my children. Not constantly torn with errands for the church, doing the finances for the church, etc. Of course, I am still in ministry, but at this point, Lee handles all administration. And it is nice.
This year has been a learning process of figuring out how to homeschool my kids. And I dont just mean the curriculum. That was the easy part. It is figuring out how to manage our time, but still be able to enjoy the flexibility of them being home. So we can take a field trip whenever it is convenient. They can go to market with us, the post office, other life skills are being poured into them. They are learning what it means to live within a budget. They are learning household skills as well. Yet, still managing our time to finish their book work. I panicked often that we would not finish. But Tori will finish this coming week and Josh will finish the next. Not too bad. And their grades are great.
And I do love having them home. I love not having to rush them to school or rush to pick them up. I love that if we are in the middle of something, it is our schedule, not the schools. I love that they dont ever have homework. They finish during the day, and then can ride their bike, do a craft, whatever they want. I remember my kids going to school all day and coming home to hours of homework. I hated it because they did not have time just to relax. My kids are happier now.
I love that we eat all three meals together. Before, we ate dinner together. Most of the time. I love that Tori is learning to cook. And Josh is helping in that area as well. And Erika is my little baker. I love that. Before I just did not have time to do those things. Now they are a necessity. It is just cheaper and healthier to make things from scratch. And tastes so much better too.
I have a pot of beans cooking once a week. If I have to run an errand, Josh keeps them going for me...because they take all day. Tori prepares a craft and lesson EVERY week for our children's ministry. Do you know what committment and skills she is learning? I am available to help her, but she mostly does it on her own. Josh is pouring into the teens around us. He is in ministry....real ministry at 15 years old. And I love that too.
Tori is learning Piano and Josh is learning Guitar. And they want to do it. That is the best part.
But learning to homeschool has been a great process.
And I am thankful that I am home with my kids, that my kids are homeschooled, and my husband works out of the home. After the busyness of us all going different directions in the past, this is a nice calm season we are in.
Living on one income and not having my own "stash", like the past, is an adjustment as well. But living on the mission field, we are so blessed. And learning what things are really important. And it just takes us another step in our marriage...learning once again how to live on the budget:) and not having my own little account to compensate me going over:)
But I am thankful for the reminder today of how blessed I am to be home with my kids. To enjoy their unique personalities. Josh only has three more years of high school. Then hopefully he will stay around a little for college, but it is hard to take that in. And Tori is not far behind him. I want to learn to appreciate each day I have with them. And laugh with them...and talk with them...and get to know them even more.
growing up happens too fast.
ReplyDelete