A few years ago, Lee and I went to Family Camp with the Zoe Kids from church. It happened that the week included our anniversary. We snuck away, for a few hours, to a beautiful lunch at a nice restaurant about 45 minutes away. On our way back, we were called and told that one of our girls from the church was being taken to the ER, having passed out from dehydration (it was very hot that summer). So we rushed back and spent the rest of our anniversary nursing that girl and one other that had extreme dehydration...not too romantic.
Today was our first day of homeschool for this school year. Today was very hot, but a good day. School went great. And we were all relaxing on the couch watching something on YouTube, eating popsicles. Erika had been out front and forgot to shut the front door, so ran to pull it closed, somehow catching her foot underneath... She began screaming that scream that no mom wants to hear. I knew immediately it was not good. I ran, dropping my popsicle on the floor to help get her foot out. I couldn't even look at her foot, my heart was already jumping out of my throat...I had already yelled for Lee to come. He is so calm in scary situations. The kids were great, as we were yelling orders, not knowing how bad, just that there was a lot of blood coming out of that tiny heel. At one point, Lee opened it to look at it, and blood shot very far. He knew we needed to have her seen, because it could be an artery. I write this now, still feeling that panic...but so thankful that it ended up not being that bad. So, I decided to call the clinic I go to. They are minutes from our house, and I know everyone there. They called the doctor and said to bring her right in. I was crying as I talked to them and they were all so nice. Within minutes of arriving, both doctors were there. The doctors are married to each other. We had already been told the worst case scenario that if it was the artery, we would have to rush her to Belize City and do surgery.
As I was leaving, I asked Josh to put a post on Facebook. You know why? Because I knew you guys would pray. And I felt it. I felt God's peace as I stood there next to my screaming baby. And I feel that God intervened.
When the Dr. finally pulled away the towel we were holding to keep pressure, she said...it has stopped bleeding...it is not her artery. I believe God touched Erika.
She did still require two stitches. This was no fun. She had stitches once before and they had to tie her up like a burrito.
But she did so good. She did cry. We did have to hold her down. But I also feel she was brave.
I am so thankful for my Dr. She is a GYN, but sees me for my thyroid. She was excellent and quick. Her husband is a peditrician and was there as well, but let her do it because she does more stitching:)
I am thankful that tonight we are not in Belize City and having a child in surgery.
I am thankful for an amazing husband, who remains calm...
We came home and the house was crazy. There were several bloody towels everywhere...a melted popsicle on the floor...a first aid kit thrown everywhere as we desperately looked for things to hold on her heel.
Our challenge will be to keep this very active 4 yr old off her feet for two days. At first she thought it was fun to be wheeled around in Tori's office chair, but is already wanting to get up and walk. Please pray we can keep her down:)
![]() |
| the Dr. doing the final clean up of her foot...she was so good with Erika |



No comments:
Post a Comment
Thanks for commenting. I love to hear from you.