Wednesday, July 6, 2011

I woke up so happy

This morning, I woke up with a long list of things I wanted to do before my KIDS COME HOME TOMORROW:)

Can you tell I'm excited?

Yesterday, we stocked up at market and the chicken store.  Today, Erika and I loaded up at the grocery store and bakery....all to get ready because my KIDS COME HOME TOMORROW:)

So, I am in the best mood today.

Couple points of prayer:
1.  My sister in law is supposed to get a special security pass to be able to walk the kids right to the gate to get on the plane.  Please pray for favor that this actually happens.
2.  Lee is supposed to be able to meet them right as they get off the plane and walk them through customs, help them with the luggage (there is a lot), etc.  Please also pray for favor for that as well.
3.  Please pray for safe travels for all of us, going to and from the airports and their plane ride.

Changing subjects, this is not a cooking blog, but thought I would share a couple of yummy recipes with you.

I love GUACAMOLE.  In Katy, I could eat it anytime I wanted really.  But here, it truly is a seasonal thing.  We actually have an avacodo tree in our yard, but it has never produced yet.   There is always next year.

But they have been selling avacodoes at market.  I have been a little nervous to get them because they look totally different than the ones in the US.  But, finally last Friday, i got a couple...and I am sure glad I did.  So, Tuesday, I picked a couple more up.

I literally could eat a meal of chips and guac. 

Here is a simple, I think healthy?, way to make it. 


Take one large, ripe avacado, cut in half and discard seed.
Scoop insides out and put in bowl.
Cut up small tomato, small onion (depending on how much you like--I put about 1/2 sm onion) and put in bowl.
Mash them all together.
Squeeze half a lime and put on lots of salt, well not too much.

Get a bag of tortilla chips and dig in.

You can thank me later.



Moving on to a totally UNhealthy snack that I am making for the kids arrival tomorrow:

No Bake Cookies

My mom used to always make these when I was growing up.  They are seriously better than most candy bars...mmmm.  And the best part is that I make a double batch and just freeze them.  Josh will be especially happy to find them when he comes home.



Now, remember I did a double batch, but I am going to give you the ingredients in single batch form.

2 cups sugar
3 healping Tbsp baking cocoa
1/2 cup margarine, softened
1/2 cup milk

3 cups oats
1/2 cup peanut butter ( I use chunky)

Mix sugar, cocoa, margarine and milk in saucepan.  Bring to a boil.  Cook for 3 minutes; remove from heat.  Stir in oats and peanut butter.  Drop by teaspoonfuls onto waxed paper.  Let stand until firm.  Yield: 30 servings



These cookies are too hot for Erika to help much with, but she loves "cleaning" out the pan for me.  And since there are no raw eggs, I let her:)


Sure, maybe they just look like globs to you, but trust me, you can't eat just one.

 There are so many things that we used to eat in Texas that I cannot make here due to being unable to find or afford the ingredients here.  But it is good to know that I am learning to make new things and there are some of the old things I CAN still make.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. I love to hear from you.