Our journey today took us to a sixteen mile rocky road where we bumpily traveled at 10 mph. Once we got off the main road, it took us an hour and half on rocky roads, driving very slowly!!! There was no phone reception, no passing cars, no other people. Occassionally we would see someone and there was a lot of waving going on!!!! It was the most beautiful scenery and we are learning that living in Belize is so much about the journey...not just the destination. We enjoyed our journey today.
Thankfully, we had loaded the car with cold drinks and snacks...most were used up on our journey there and back. We also brought along a girl from church, Ilka. She just graduated and is 16 years old...they graduate so young here. She had been to Thousand Foot Falls a few years ago, so it was a blessing to have her as we questioned often if this was the right road...you do remember our journey to see the monkeys???
We enjoyed the Falls, then headed to a resort, as that is the only place to eat up there and enjoyed a beautiful lunch. Thankfully (as we were hoping they would), the resort allowed us to explore their beautiful property and falls. All of the staff was so kind, which was a tremendous blessing, as we ended up getting the van stuck on a road that we could not turn around or back up. I can laugh about it now, but at the time, it was pretty scary. We were miles from any people and had no phone reception. Lee and Josh were desperately trying to back the van up, which they could a little, then the wheels would only spin. The girls and I were trying to stay out of the way in case the van rolled down the cliff, which was a scary real possibility. As we were being eaten alive by mosquitos, I was praying God's protection on my boys!! Lee and I were crying out to God for help, and Lee got phone reception. He was able to call the resort and they were kind enough to pull us out...no small task, but they did it with such kindness. And allowed us still to stay and enjoy more of the falls.
Our walk to the butterfly falls was long, sweaty, and difficult. But so worth it. They are the most beautiful falls I have ever seen and the water was freezing, but it felt so good. I wish we could have stayed longer, but because of the stuck van incident, we needed to start heading home. It was actually dark as we headed back home on the rocky road.
This was quite an adventerous day for our family. We did not really know what to expect, but would love to go back, if the ride there wasnt so difficult. It would definitely be worth going for a few days and actually spending the night at the resort so we could fully enjoy all of God's untouched beauty out in that area. Belize is beautiful. And so natural. That makes it scary as a mom with children who have no fear. But the natural beauty is just that, natural...and awe-inspiring. And sometimes doesn't even seem like real life???
Here are some of the pictures of our day:
I also made a video which is taking too long to upload, so I will put it on tomorrow.
Every Family Day, we set out on an adventure. This is big for me. I am not big on adventure. But I am learning or trying to learn to fully trust in God. When you are out in the middle of nowhere, no phone signal, or if you called for help, it would take ages for them to arrive, you have to trust God more. Seriously. I pray more here. In the States, I was so dependent on "man". I could always get someone to help if needed. Here, it is not that way. Yet, God shows his protection and love for our family all the time. Even the fact that we got to enjoy the beautiful resort today...and the fact that they let us stay even after they had to rescue us.
I want to end with a very funny story:
When we were at the top of the thousand foot falls, the kids found a little salamander. In true Josh-the-being-a-pest-brother fashion, he threw it in Tori's mouth, then ear. She screamed, "Josh, don't put that thing in my ear...it will run right though and out the other ear!!!" Tori, Tori. We love you, but think about what you are saying:)


No comments:
Post a Comment
Thanks for commenting. I love to hear from you.