Friday, August 5, 2011

Getting Ready for Homeschool Year #2

Yesterday, we were finally able to go and pick up all our homeschool curricullum for the coming year.  I had wanted to start last week, so we are a week behind.  But that is okay.  I am just trying to prepare as my parents are coming a couple of weeks in December and we expect other visitors around the holidays, as well.

It was so exciting to go through everything and organize everything on my bookshelves.  I am so thankful to be in a home and have a nice area to store everything and desk for me to work at.  For the kids to each have their own desks and work areas as well.

Erika was so excited as we went through all her teaching materials as well.  She even has paces.  They are so cute.  I am glad she is so eager to learn and hope she stays that way.

I have bought some special school supplies for each of the kids.  The older two don't need much, so it is more for fun.  Like highlighters, special folders, etc.  I plan to make a special breakfast for them on Monday when they start.

Erika's homeschool will take the most preparation for me each day, but I love that the lessons are planned so thoroughly and with every little detail.  She will only go half a day, which is good, because I will still have things around the house, errands, etc, to work into my day.  Hopefully, she will be good and worn out by nap time.

You know it is funny because I always wanted to be a Kindergarten teacher.  It is what I was going to school for all those years ago.  So, now I get to be a Kindergarten teacher to one very special little girl.

I've been working all morning on all the preparations just for Monday.  I made a calendar and now the girls and I are working on making bean bags.  Some supplies I will just not be able to get here in Belize, but we will make do.

I am excited as we start a new year.  It's always a fresh start.  New subjects or subjects in new ways.  Josh will be in 10th and Tori will be in 7th. 

Homeschooling is looked at differently here in Belize than America.  It is just not as common here.  I am often asked if I have  a degree to teach my children.  Or "You must be very smart" to teach your own children.  Nope, just the curricullum and being organized and consistent.

In Belize, The mobile homes are made of wood by the Mennonites...Is this crazy or what?  And it was tipping from side to side...scary:?   They were blocking our bridge, but eventually we got on the road to pick up the curricullum.

Two big boxes and one small bag full of curricullum for three awesome children.

Erika was so excited about her letter sounds cards....and everything else.

Unpacking and sorting took a while.

We got this chari for Tori's desk for a good deal.  It is so much better than her folding chair.

So beautiful.

Organized, phew.

Sewing Bean Bags

filling bean bags

Kindergarten music/coordination center
I am looking forward to being more on a schedule, but will definitely miss sleeping in.  But that will make Saturdays and Mondays special.  Mondays, mostly, we will take off...either to relax or take field trips.  As long as the kids are keeping up where they need to be.

The pressure of all I need to teach Erika overwhelms me a little, but I have to focus on one day at a time.  The older kids pretty much do the work on their own, but she will require my full teaching.  So, this year ahead is busy.  Busy is good, right?  I will look forward to our visitors in November and December and that is my goal to be halfway done with school.  I like goals.

1 comment:

  1. If there are any supplies you would like and do not have, please let me know and I will send them! <3

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. I love to hear from you.