Wednesday, September 28, 2011

The Good and the Bad

Wini, the girl that we are Guardians to, has had a few oppurtunities to sing the last few weeks...her dreams come true.  We rejoice with her and are so proud of her.

Last week, when George Price, the nation's founder, passed away, a talented young man gathered about 15 kids and they did this beautiful tribute.  It was played at the funeral and then the kids were asked to go on Plus TV yesterday.  Here is the song:  Wini is the first girl solo...





waiting to go on the show...we are watching the show out in the foyer

being interviewed

relieved it is over:)






Last week, our country had some very sad news.  And a member in our church is the reporter for the TV news...he shared with us the story that broke all of our hearts.  Some man picked up a 4 yr old from school, raped her and returned her to school.  He never should have been able to pick her up from school.

Why do I share this?  Because that is how it is here in Belize.  We are a small country of 300,000 people...the size of the community of Katy...and we are infiltrated with crime.  Most of it is in Belize City, sure.  But even in our small city of 20,000, we are touched by it as well.  It is heartbreaking.  I will be honest.  And being the mother of a 4 yr old girl, my heart is ripped in two.  Can you understand how protective I am of my children?  I HAVE to be.

Another lady who works at the TV station, who also attends our church, put a plea out on Facebook this morning, asking us to make cards for the girl and her mother...and that she will deliver them.  I do not want my girls to know of such sadness, but Tori already knows.  So, we just shared with Erika that a girl was hurt in the city...

I know in America, we are overwhelmed of bad news all the time too.  We hear of devastating crimes all the time.  We almost become callous to it.  It is far away.  In Belize, 1 out of 2 women are sexually abused.  I cannot bury my head in the sand.  I must live my life in diligence and protect myself and daughters (with God's hand on us, of course).  But I also minister to these girls and ladies. 

Last week in our young people's cell, we challenged the 14 kids that came:  Let LifeNet be different than every other church.  Let our youth be known for purity...and in that, begin to change a nation.  It has to start somewhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. I love to hear from you.