Thursday, September 15, 2011

On Being a Mom

The next couple of days, I am helping a mom out in my church...

School is so different here.  They go in the morning, get out at 11:30 for lunch, go back at 1 and are done at 2:30.  That is a lot of running around for any mom, but my friend runs a restaurant, has a newborn, and her husband works in the city.  Normally her mom is here to help her out, but is gone this week.  Last  night, I found out how overwhelmed she has been trying to get back and forth to the school...with no car...during her busiest lunch time hour!!!

So, today, the girls and I went and picked Chris up (he is the same age as Erika).  His school is right down our street.

It is just one more reminder of how much harder things are here for moms.  Many of the moms had walked there today and I don't know how far.  And those that work...that is just another stress.  And having older children as well?

These are the times I am thankful my kids are homeschooled and we can set our own schedule.  It just works for us here.  Tomorrow completes our first 6 weeks.  I love accomplishment.  I love when the kids finish "paces" and we get out brand new fresh ones. 

It had been nice and cool with the rain the past few days, but the temps rage again.  Or the humidity, I guess.  The high is 86, but I have been sweating all day.  Especially doing all the walking we are doing today.  I am hoping when I go get Chris in a few minutes, there will be a lady selling snowcones...that would make me happy:)

Last night, we had our second leaders meeting.  Tori babysat Erika, so it was a nice break for me to get out, too.  Our new mom was outside trying to get the baby to sleep, but Lee wanted her to be able to be in the meeting, so I got the privelege of singing (probably a little off-key) and rocking that sweet boy to sleep.  It was so fun for me.  It was a just right temperature night outside, a full moon...just lovely for walking with him.  And when he finally relaxed and went to sleep, I just so enjoyed holding him.  I no longer have that "thing" that I want another baby, like I used to.  But I sure do love holding other people's babies.  I looked up at that moon, and thought, "This moment is surreal.  I am really living in Belize?  Is this real life?"  Its like sometimes I still cannot believe I am on the mission field, raising my kids in another country, like all those missionaries that used to visit my church when I was young.  And now I realize, they were just normal people, just like me...who were obedient...at all costs.

In Erika's Bible story this morning, it was about Moses and Burning Bush and obeying God and trusting Him even when he asks us to do something we are afraid of, because Moses was scared.  And Erika said, "like us, Mommy?  God asked us to move to Belize and we could be scared, but we aren't?"  I love that she "gets" it.   And the character and faith that is being built in her at such a young age.  I love our curricullum too...because it is based on the Bible...all of it.  And Erika quotes back all the stories she is learning.  So awesome.

Alright, nice break sitting at the computer...now back to the busyness.  Have  a great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. I love to hear from you.