Thursday, September 29, 2011

Tonight

Sometimes, I look around the room, very full, very crowded, lots of teenagers...and think...God, you really have me in a place I never imagined.  We minister to all ages, but I look around this room full of teens who want to come, who text us to please pick them up, or get dropped off by their parents.  And they are FAITHFUL.  Most are here every week and hate to miss.  It is not at all how I saw my life as an almost 38 yr. old woman.  I have ministered to babies and children for years.  But teens have always kind of scared me.

Tonight, I looked around and thought How neat is God?  That He is always outside the box.  And if you want to be where He is...He is not contained in the traditions of yesteryear...meaning, what He had you do at one  point is not what you will be doing at another.  Don't get me wrong...I am still crazy about those babies...but He has given me this deep love for these teens too.  To be able to help pour into them in a time of deep life changing decisions in their lives.

But, also, let me explain.  We are not having youth group here.  That is not what it is at all.  It is equipping young people.  Discipling.  Sometimes Discipleship is hard, painful, saying tough things to people.  It is not a job for the faint of heart to speak truth into situations.  But what is so cool is when you see these people, fully surrendered to Jesus, and seeking the hard answers because they want to be everything Jesus wants them to be.

It is so cool.  And it is so cool that He lets us in on it:)

Tonight was an awesome night.  We celebrated two of the kids birthdays with cake, but first we all spoke affirming words and prayed individually over them.  It was moving, emotional...and awesome.  God is so real.  And these other kids spoke of the Jesus they see in the two who were being honored.  But you know what is so cool?  The two being honored were both so humble...and in doing so, gave all the honor to God.

Don't ever say...I will do anything EXCEPT...because that may be the one or two things you find yourself doing...I am a prime example.  But there is such joy and contentment of sitting in your living room...a very expensive plane ticket away from your family and friends...knowing that you were obedient...and others are blessed because of your obedience.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. I love to hear from you.