Like all good love stories, ours has not been perfect. We have had to figure out to mold two very STRONG personalities into one peaceful home.
I met Lee my Senior Year of high school. He was a student going to Christ for the Nations and interning at the church I had gone to since 7th grade, when my family moved to Dallas for my Dad to attend CFNI as well.
Lee was living in an apartment at our church building with a few other guys (who would later serve as the groomsmen at our wedding). Our church family was pretty big, so Lee and I fell into two totally different catergories. I was high school, he was college.
But, somehow our worlds collided. At my youth pastor's wedding. It was a serious, special day for me, because I loved my youth pastor and his wife. He is who I consider one of my strongest Spiritual mentors. He constantly poured into me. And taught me so much about living passionately for Christ. And I loved that he was marrying the sweetest girl ever, that I loved just as much. But to Lee, it was just a wedding of his boss... A work day, as he would be cleaning up after the big shindig...and it was big, as my youth pastor was the pastor's son. So with seriousness, I sat next to my best friend, and this guy behind me begins pulling my hair. I swatted him away...I did not have time. Then he pulled it really hard. I was so mad...How immature!!! I turned around and probably gave him a look of death. So he laid off. Somehow at the reception, this guy ends up sitting with my friends and I. Somehow this guys begins showing up in my life, always apologizing for pulling my hair, getting down on his knees and asking my forgiveness. And somewhere in all that apologizing, this guy made me laugh, lighten up, and I began falling in love. Pastor Scott had the interns called the youth each week to make sure they were coming, etc. Somehow, it was this guy that began calling me each week. And I began falling more and more in love. I had never had a boyfriend yet, and I was smitten. I began wanting to go to church every time the doors were open, just so I could see him. (well, and seek the Lord too:) )
Then, he asked me out.
Would my parents let me go?
Our first date: I had gone to school that day and then worked afterschool at the daycare, so took clothes to change. I was so nervous. He picked me up early...only the beginning of learning this was part of his personality. Then he took me to the church, and cooked dinner for me. Lets just say Love is without tastebuds. It is the only meal I think he has ever cooked for me. Steak, which at that point in my life I hated. It was so tough. So I asked him to get me a napkin. He had to run across the gym, and I quickly threw it in the trash. Not til years later did he know I didnt eat that steak that night. After that, we went to a concert at his Bible college. I don't remember much more about that night, but that even on that first date, I could see myself spending the rest of my life with this guy. He loved Jesus with all his heart. And I knew he would serve Him all his life. And that was the most attractive thing to me. To see a young man full of purpose. And I was convinced that he would accomplish things for the Lord.
Fast forward a few months, a couple more dates. Weeks before my graduation, this guy broke my heart. Said he didn't know where he would go after Bible college. That we should move on.
I was devastated. I already had seen my in-laws and claimed them:) I already had names for all the future Brockintons. I cried and cried. I did not enjoy the ending of my senior year. I was so sad.
But, dont worry, this story has a happy ending.
Because of one of Lee's friends...
He let him know what he had given up. And that he better get me back... Sweet, huh?
So, twenty years ago today, Lee came to my house. He told me that the next relationship he had would probably be his wife. And that he was asking me to be in a relationship with him!!!! Heavy stuff for a girl that you just broke her heart... But I knew, deep in my heart, always, that this was my guy. My husband. And even though he had hurt me, I still loved him so much. I was terrified, being 17, and just out of high school. I knew my parents would not want me to get married for a long time. But I also knew that they had always prayed for a godly husband for me. And God had brought him right to me.
So, 1991 was a summer full of love, butterflies in my stomach, getting ready to move to college, long walks around the neighborhood, way too much pizza (because it was cheap), and getting to know my best friend. And that is what is so cool. I love this guy, but he is also my very best friend. And even more today than ever. We have walked through so much in these twenty years together.
Four months after we began dating, Lee asked me to be his wife. Yes, he did ask my parents first. He took me to meet his family in Houston the next month...and his grandad took these pictures. I love it because it shows so much love...
So, now that some of you have just heard way more than you wanted to...it was fun for me to write out our love story. That still continues today. In August, we will have been married for 19 awesome years.
Wow, young Pastor Lee sounds so much like Josh. I loved reading this, you are an excellent writer. Congrats to both of you!
ReplyDelete