Some of you who have been following my blog awhile know that I had some thyroid issues before leaving Texas. Today I needed to go and begin the process of getting bloodwork and a doctor. Healthcare is free or very inexpensive here in Belize. Well, we actually pay for it every time we purchase something with 12 1/2 percent taxes. But there are also private clinics, which is what we decided to try today. Still extremely inexpensive compared to the US.
Definitely healthcare is somewhat in my own hands. It is very different. We made an appt, but were the only ones there. The doctor travels to different communities. In this office, there is a peditrician, gynecologist, cadiologist and orthopedic doctor. There is a lab and small pharmacy. They deliver babies even. In this little clinic. When we went back after they got the bloodwork, there was a little baby that had been born recently. No carseats like in America...by most. Just held in mama's arms.
The man who took my blood was very nice. He comes from Benque every day. That is where we ministered to children last year on the missions trip, way up on the Guatemalen border. The doctor was very nice. The visit was short and sweet.
They literally gathered only my name and age for information. Nothing else. In fact, we will pay tomorrow when we go back in. They don't know our phone number, address, nothing. It is so different than the US.
I am currently consulting my doctor in the US via email to followup on what the Dr. told me before moving forward. I am thankful that the majority of this was already taken care of.
This will be good when we have something not too serious, but I am not sure if I had an emergency. Of course, the hospital is bigger. Hopefully, we will not be checking that out.
Just thought you'd like to know about going to the Doctor in Belmopan.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Thanks for commenting. I love to hear from you.