Thursday, March 10, 2011

Getting Started

Yesterday seemed to be the longest, busiest, most frustrating day.  Literally, at 8:30, I took my shower and fell asleep.  My back hurt, I was so hot.  I was just plain tuckered out.

But this morning I woke up refreshed and ready to face my day of chores.  I encountered some huge blessings that brought me to tears this morning.  God knows just what I needed.

Last night, I made chicken enchiladas from my Belizean cookbook.  This is something I made in the states, that Josh, especially loved.  Lee did not feel good last night.  I think it was from the heat, not drinking water, and just running errands and stresses all day.  Winnie had a friend over working on school, so we asked him to join us...with a big disclaimer that I am still learning to cook here...with Belizean products...

But it turned out pretty good.  And there were barely any left.  That is always a good sign.  And always a hungry crowd I have:  7 last night.



Before the Oven

Baked and before it was devoured...



So, thankfully it turned out good.  I have two Belizean cookbooks and so far everything has turned out well.  I have had to substitute an ingredient or two, but it is nice to have some new meals I can cook.

This week, we plan to have a family over, to just spend some time with them.  It will be my first official hosting here.  I only have plastic plates and cups and a very small table, but God will help us figure out the details.  I am praying it is a special time.

I feel that this first month has been a huge adjustment for our family, but now we are getting the hang of living here and are ready to start reaching out...and getting started.

Yesterday, we received our first mail.  It came while the kids were here alone.  The guy brought it on a motorcycle and yelled into them.  Isn't that so cool and different?  Getting mail was very exciting to our family. 

I have had a lot of dreams with special people from Texas in them...family and friends.  I think it is just me really missing everyone now.  I sleep very soundly at night, because I am always so tired.  But my dreams are always filled with my loved ones.

Today, I will go to a Belizean, actually Cuban, doctor.  Everything is fine.  It is just followup to check my thyroid and I will need to get new medication.  It is so nervous for me to go here, to trust, in a foreign country.  I think the Lord is giving me a glimpse of how it must feel for those who come to the US from a foreign land.  Communication is sometimes difficult and exhausting.  And everything is not like we have known.  Everything is now foreign for us.  We have to trust people we do not know.  But with God, He gives us strength and guidance and good friends to help us.

Josh set up the Wii yesterday for Erika.  Oh, how I am thankful for her to have some of her fun familiar things to do.  We want to get her a swing for outside and bike...but with all the other errands, those things have just not gotten done yet.  Soon.

Well, need to get some things done. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. I love to hear from you.