If I do say so myself, my creative side has really come out here in Belize...either that or my kids are starving and just eat anything out of desperation.
I don't waste food here. I RARELY throw anything out. I make one large pot of beans each week, and use it somehow during the week over and over. I even made refried beans from said pot this week...mmmm.
Today I needed coffee, and those who are my facebook friends, know they do not have my favorite creamer here. And when I have found some similar, they are just not worth the price. I will enjoy my creamer when I am home in the states. So, back to this morning. I was sooo tired and needed to get motivated. So I made my VIA coffee packet from starbucks, from my special someone who stocked me up before the move. I then added baking cocoa, sugar, and whole milk. This cup of coffee was more than amazing. And gave me the pick me up I needed:)
Yesterday for lunch, after a very busy weekend, I had a fridge full of miscellaneous leftovers, and no real meal for 6 people. I did not want to waste all the leftovers or start a fresh meal...so we ate all the leftovers. One of the things I did was throw a little olive oil, rice, leftover chicken I had already taken off the bone, some leftover corn, and salsa and threw it all in...it was so yummy. Or we were starving, I am not sure.
I never did that in the states. I look back and realize how much food we just threw away. How easily I did that because we always had so much more. But food is expensive here. And just establishing a household again, I just don't have as many things lying around. I am slowly building up. But we don't have the snacks like we did before.
But I am thankful. My kids are not picky. They eat what we have for the most part. They like most of it. Sometimes it is a flop. Or sometimes we need to eat dinner a little earlier. But I am having fun, building confidence, and learning to conserve and use what we have.
Oh, and for lunch, I made these potatoes cake things from all our leftover mashed potatoes. Leftover mashed potatoes are not good. These cake things were. We put ketchup on them and yummmy.
Changing the subject dramatically. Some days are hard for me. Some days I struggle with moving away from all I know to be familiar. Some days I really wish we could just drive to McDonalds and get a burger, actually Chickfila would be more what I like. Some days I would really like to have a Dr. Pepper and sit and talk to my friends.
But days like today...the weather is beautiful. My house is fairly clean, for the moment. I have been home most of the day. My kids are done with school early, and Josh is helping my friend do inventory at her store. Erika is playing the Wii and Tori is working on something in her room. Days like today, I love it here. And it all seems familiar and right. It seems that I am exactly where I am supposed to be. Days like Sunday, when we sat around our living room, worshipping the same Jesus we worshipped in Katy, when we see by things people say, that God totally has sent us here. Its days like these, that Belmopan is my home. And I love my new home:)
We miss you but had to let you go for bigger things. Cause we all know the Kingdom of God is stinkin' huge! The same way you have to let us (and chikfila) go for better things... such as the huge Kingdom of God coming to Belize. Thought of you today. :) love you all.
ReplyDeleteRobyn -- I just prayed for you guys, I love reading about your life in Belize, thank you for continuing to update the blog. I completely understand feeling sad and missing the familar, we are kind of experiencing it together at this tmie. I know you are going to do great things there in Belize. Very impressed by your meal.
ReplyDelete